I had ordered my business cards a while ago, and I ordered quite a bit, probably more than I actually needed, but hey Jukeboxprint.com did a pretty good job of helping me out with these. I wanted painted edges, but unfortunately the artwork on my business cards didn’t lend itself well to those kinds of papers, and I wasn’t ready to splurge more than $100 for this set, especially as an just starting out freelance graphic designer.

As for those cool ass edges of bright colour to help out my business cards stand out, I was initially just marking them up with Prismacolor markers, but I found that over time, the edges would bleed and would look really amateur. Some people would probably have never noticed (which is what I was hoping for), but when I saw this pin on Pinterest, I knew i had to try it out.

Chris Wood on Behance

I first tested with some spray paint that I had on hand, some gold, and then some lime. I used only one clamp and found that it had bled between the cards just a little, so I ended up using 2 clamps and it was magic.

 

I wanted to colours that I had originally used on my cards, so I went out to Modelland (which is very conveniently placed 3 blocks away from my apartment) and grabbed up these paints. These paints ran my just under $10 all together. I decided to get these since I already had a paintbrush, and I find that spray painting with control is difficult for me. Also most model shops will carry a larger array of colours vs. your Home Depot. These took up no space in my little studio, my basket of spray paint is getting kind of messy.

 

So the process was quite simple. Clamp and paint and dry.  My tips would be:

1. Clamp tight, you want the cards to be one smooth block

2. Don’t spray paint too much, just a little bit at a time, don’t want the paper to soak up the ink, you can paint in coats, but 1-2 coats was enough for me, depending on the colour.

 

I’m lucky that I have quite a few things that I can use for these DIYs. Definitely something I would do for a client if need be. I think next time I might tackle a gradient with the airbrush to achieve a different effect. Good luck!