So it’s been a whole month since I’ve posted anything. My excuse was all this damned planning and building of this box office, while also applying for jobs, doing interviews. freelancing, and also, starting my new job (Yay!). Right now Chris and I are at a point of which we can say that the box office is at a good stage close to completion that I can start to relax and catch up on other things.
A couple of weeks ago, we went to my parent’s place and built up our frame
It wasn’t too bad to put together, however the damned thing didn’t really fit in our Mazda6 wagon, so we had to re jig it. We ended up taking the long beam sandwiched in the middle out and having the two rectangle/triangle pieces separated and a free standing middle piece to support the weight. Unfortunately, didn’t mark that progress, but you know. Stuff.
Here’s a photo of the plans that I had created for myself for cutting out the pieces that I needed. Didn’t want to end up needing more foam core, and guess what, I AM FUCKING BOSS AT ESTIMATING MATERIALS. Used all the pieces of foam core. Only a wee bit of left over, but all of our big pieces were taken care of and I didn’t have to Frankenstein together some weird pieces to make one big piece.
This is just an example of some of the painting I did. Also the plans for real size to guestimate how the ping pong balls would look and how many I would need to put around the box office. I also used paint from Dollarama (which is better than the stuff from Dollar Tree FYI).
So this photo demonstrates how I transferred the images to foam core. I used some Saral wax free yellow transfer paper (of which I got at Mona Lisa’s) which I had for transferring sewing patterns. I just printed out the image from the computer that I made in Illustrator and blew it up to actual size and tiled the pieces together. I then just transferred it using a knitting needle I had lying around. This wax transfer paper worked well. While painting over the guidelines, the yellow did not, not even once, muddy up my paint. I know with pencil/graphite I tend to get those gross greyed out places where the pigment reacts to the paint/binder, so I highly suggest this stuff. It stayed underneath my painting, never to rise again.
This picture is just a progress picture of what I got done before going to work when I couldn’t go to sleep because of worrying about this freaking project.
Now this is a photo of everything coming together. All those fucking circles, I am so happy I did not have to cut them out. I delegated that task to poor chris. I feel bad, but he made those circles perfect. I would have not been (and have not even decently achieved) as successful as Chris was with those things. We ended up getting the Olfa compass circle cutter from Sew Much More to cut these circles out.
Circles. In foam core. FML. Just a sad memory from ACAD I do not want to relive.
We were lucky that we sourced some shitty ping pong balls from Dollar Tree. 8/$1.25, and they were the crappy kind, so they were great for this project. Easy to cut and had a seam in the middle. Not optimum for playing ping pong, but definitely great for crafts. Just wanted to let people know that they had them there since I was concerned about finding something as suitable as ping pong balls for the lights. I also grabbed some led lanterns which will be housed in the box to light these up.
Here’s more photos.
God our living room is a fucking mess. But, it will be cleaned once we’re all finished with this thing and Michelle’s wedding comes up (which is this coming Saturday). The only thing that we need to do from this point on is install the lights, cover the inside with a shit-ton of tin foil and attach those middle pieces, and the starburst, and figure out how to install the diamond with ease for transport. From this point on, probably a good 6 hours, but we’ve decided to take it easy and play some well deserved Mario Kart 8.